American Fitness Professionals & Associates (AFPA) offers a variety of educational programs in the field of nutrition. From entry-level through master-level, sports nutrition through holistic nutrition, the AFPA nutrition certifications lineup probably covers the topic you are interested in.
Here are all the certification options:
- Holistic Nutritionist Certification
- Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certification
- Nutrition Consultant (Master Level) Certification
- Weight Management Specialist Certification
- Sports Nutrition Certification
- Senior Nutrition Specialist Certification
- Youth Nutrition Specialist Certification
Each one will teach you about the specific aspect of nutrition. The courses also show you how to teach your clients about healthy lifestyles, and the best way to set and achieve their goals.
For general nutrition practice, the Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certification is a good one to start with.
The AFPA Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certification program will teach you:
- how to provide educated nutritional guidance and nutrition coaching to individuals
- how to effectively communicate with clients to reach their desired nutritional and lifestyle goals
- the fundamental skills of counseling strategies and protocol
As you can see, there is a nutrition component and a consulting/counseling component. It’s an all-encompassing program, covering both important topics you must understand to succeed as a nutrition coach.
Coursework comes in the form of:
- two mobile-ready, interactive eBooks
- video lecture downloads
- action-based worksheets and practical case studies
- practice quizzes (self assessments to test progress)
You can choose 100% digital access or get textbooks, too (at additional cost).
Useful business document templates are included:
- Counseling and Lifestyle Management Forms for Starting Your Own Business
- Worksheets and Questionnaires to document and assess counseling sessions
- Forms, Worksheets and Checklists provided as downloads and as perforated forms for easy duplication
The Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certification cost is $798 for the digital access to courses, textbooks, and the final exam.
There is an additional fee of $85 to renew your certification every two years. You must also earn 16.0 CECs during each renewal period and submit proof with your renewal application.
(How does it compare to other nutrition certifications? Compare them here.)
Course assignments are submitted online and the final exam is taken online.
The exam consists of 250 questions (multiple choice or true/false). An 85% or higher score is needed to pass.
You may complete the examination anytime within six months from enrollment. When you pass, you will receive your grade and credentials immediately. (If you do not pass, there is a $75 retest fee.)
After successful completion of assignments and final exam, you will earn the title of “Certified Nutrition & Wellness Consultant”.
Other Certifications You May Earn
Because the AFPA Nutrition Certification programs fully meet certain board educational requirements, you will be eligible to earn additional credentials if you choose:
- Board Certified Nutrition Professional through the AADP
- Board Certified Nutritional Consultant through the ANMAB
AFPA is an approved CEU provider for NANP, NASM, AFAA and others.
Completing this nutrition certification program could earn you valuable CEUs to renew existing credentials with other organizations.
Due to the high price and significant continuing education requirements, AFPA’s Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certification program is best for someone who is fully committed to continuing education and staying in the nutrition field for years to come.
The course offers great information and in-depth coursework, covering nutrition science as well as coaching, consulting, and counseling (i.e. the actual aspects of working with clients and ensuring success). So it’s a wonderful program with many opportunities you’ll want to take advantage of.
How to Get Started
The AFPA offers open enrollment, so you may enroll whenever you are ready. Just keep in mind that you must complete the course and exam within six months from your enrollment date, so make sure your upcoming schedule will allow for that.
Click here to visit the AFPA website for all the details and to begin your nutrition certification program.